WHAT IS A LEARNING COHORT?
All the research says that taking "work at your own pace" learning doesn't work. People start a course of study. But don't finish.
But learning with others adds creatives and accountability.
Grassroots Christianity learning cohorts are
- set times,
- of interactive training,
- with a group of people,
- on a particular topic.
HOW IS THIS STRUCTURED?
Every learning cohort is structured the same way, loosely following the parable of the Sower:
- Clearing the ROCKS,
- Seeding the SOIL, and
- Pulling the WEEDS.
ROCKS: We begins by guiding you around the ROCKS that trip us up. These are the common ways of understanding the topic. These aren't usually totally wrong. They are just incomplete.
SOIL: In the main part of each course we seed the SOIL of faith with best of biblical insights and theological truth—all while keeping it real
WEEDS: In the last section of each course we pull out the WEEDS, the tough questions and common mistakes that keep our faith from growing like it should.
Why a GRASSROOTS CHRISTIANITY Learning Cohort?
or the Trouble with Elites & Hacks
There are plenty of elite academics in ivory towers, trained in the latest intellectual fashions and fanciest words. But these have lost sight of the questions, doubts, hopes, and fears of everyday people.
And then there are the hack theologians. They offer pious sounding words ripped from the headlines and the Bible. They promise to revitalize your faith in two easy steps, banishing all doubts, and bringing you peace and joy. But they don't.
Learning cohort leader, Dr. David Fitch, is neither.
He is both a pastor and professor, a theologian and church planter.
With over 20 years of pastor experience, and teaching hundreds of pastors and leaders, he will guide you through the thorny topic of Jesus, the Church, and Politics.
WHAT'S THE CONTENT FOR THE COHORT?
Dr. Fitch will guide the cohort through 6 weeks of reckoning with power, structured through pulling up the ROCKS in our field of faith, planting new SEEDS, and ending by pulling up the WEEDS that may remain.
- Oct. 13—ROCKS: What is power? What are the Powers?
- Oct. 20—SEEDS: The Powers in Scripture
- Oct. 27—SEEDS: The Powers in Church History
- Nov. 3—SEEDS: The Powers in Evangelicalism
- Nov. 10—WEEDS: The Right Side of History or the Wrong Side of Power
- Nov. 17—WEEDS: Where do we go from here?
THE SYLLABUS FOR THE LEARNING COHORT WILL BE POSTED SOON.
$197 $97 is NOT that much for learning cohort.
Many people pay...
- $1500 for a 10-week seminary course
- $525 to audit the same course (with no homework).
- $250 for a conference (but then you get information overloaded).
- $100+ in books (that you might not read and won't know if they are the best resources)
BUT IN THIS LEARNING COHORT YOU GET...
• 6 weeks of live teachings (with video replay, and PDF transcripts and slides available afterward).
• 6 interactive Q&A sessions with the cohort.
• A hardcopy of The Church of Us vs. Them: Freedom from a Faith That Feeds on Making Enemies mailed to you.
• And 5 essays and chapters by Dr. Fitch to compliment the teachings (PDFs)
- Post-Christendom and the Mission of God: Into the Far Country (From Prodigal Christianity)
- The Many Gospels: How the Gospel Shapes the Church for Mission
- More "Unintended Consequences": How the Reformation (Mis)Shaped the Church for Mission in North America
- When Evangelical Pastors End Up In Moral Failure: The Missing Link Between The Pastorate and the Virtues (from The Great Giveaway)
- The Way Worship Works in Mission: Proposing an alternative to the standard account
All taught by a pastor-theologian...
...who is also a seminary professor!
That is graduate level resourcing for only
Welcome to the learning cohort
Week 1: Four Kinds of Power (Zoom Link)
Week 1: Four Kinds Power (Replay)
Week 1 Resources: Post-Christendom and the Mission of God: Into the Far Country (Ch. 1 & 2 of "Prodigal Christianity")
Week 2: The Powers in Scripture (Zoom Link)
Week 2: The Powers in Scripture (Replay)
Week 2 Resources: The Many Gospels: How the Gospel Shapes the Church for Mission
Week 3: The Powers in Church History (Zoom Link)
Week 3: The Powers in Church History (Replay)
Week 3 Resources: More "Unintended Consequences": How the Reformation (Mis)Shaped the Church for Mission in North America
Week 4: The Powers in Evangelicalism (Zoom Link)
Week 4: The Powers In Evangelicalism (Replay)
Week 5: Three Sacred Cows of Evangelical Power (Zoom Link)
Week 5: Three Sacred Cows of Evangelical Power (Replay)
Week 6: Where Do We Go From Here? Beyond Conservative and Progressive (Zoom Link)
Week 6: Where Do We Go From Here?(Replay)
Week 6 Resource: The Way Worship Works in Mission: Proposing an alternative to the standard account